Matt Gray was a music programmer for home computers in the 1980s, composing mostly on the Commodore 64. One of his most famous works was the soundtrack to the game Last Ninja 2, which was released in 1988.
He has been described as one of the musicians that define the sound of original electronic game music. Some of the trademarks of his SID tunes include arpeggios, gritty bass, thumping drums and wibbles.
In the early 1990s, Matt Gray did some production work for the rave/house act Westworld and his own groups Industrial and Nitrous.
In 1992, he joined Steve Rodway's Motiv8 project, with whom he co-wrote and co-produced hits such as "Mission" and "Rockin' For Myself". By the mid-1990s Brian Higgins was also working with Motiv8. Higgins and Gray released a few remixes under the name Balearico, and would later go on to form Xenomania. In 1998 Matt Gray partly wrote Cher's hit song "Believe", along with team mates Brian Higgins and Tim Powell, and other composers.
With Xenomania, Matt Gray has co-created songs for the Pet Shop Boys, Girls Aloud, Kylie Minogue, Sugababes and many others.
- Industrial - Time To Rock 12''
- Motiv8 - Mission
- Nitrous - Moonwalk 12''
- Quad - Donuts & Crackers / Help Me Through The Fabric Of Reality Into The Halls Of Interstellabration Part III
- Quad - Intastellabration Trilogy Part II
- Ben Chapman - Erotic Animals (The Flesh Mix)
- Westworld - The Slam (Total Remix)
- Westworld - Westbeat 12''
- Westworld - Can U Count Suckers / Get Ready 12''